Saving Your Computer from Virus Attacks and Hackers
Let’s face it. We cannot live without our computers. Be it for work, or for entertainment purposes, we love our computers and we cannot imagine one waking moment without them. And it is indeed true that without computers, things would just be too hard and tiresome for us. Computers really make our lives comfortable in a variety of ways. So it is just fair that we do the same for our computers and make sure that they are safe and secure. And here are a few ways in which we can ensure that our computers are as safe as they can be, and that they maintain smooth and proper functioning.
Being connected to the internet:
There are quite a few of us who always keep our computers connected to the internet. There are no intervals, and the computers are always logged on to the internet. This is a bad habit, as every once in a while, it is advisable to keep your computer logged off from the internet. This is because hackers have a special attraction towards connections which are always logged onto the internet, and there is always internet traffic in and out of your router. So if you keep your modems switched off every now and then, it will not present your computer as an attractive option to hackers, and can save you from falling prey to their attacks.
Firewalls are really important factors when it comes to keeping your computer safe from virus attacks and advances by hackers. Normally, whenever you go for an internet connection, you get a modem and a router with the installation. Make sure that these routers have a decent firewall in them, which will keep the bad stuff out and let the good stuff in. And you can even upgrade this firewall by looking up options on the internet. Also, make sure that the firewall in the OS that you are using is working properly. If you do not have a decent enough firewall in your computer, then you are in for a lot of trouble, and it is advisable that you get it up and running immediately.
It is true that anti-virus software does not come cheap, but then, it is always better to use a proper, licensed version of a good anti-virus. This one-time investment can really save your computer from a variety of threats, and you will not run the risk of losing all your data. Do not go for free, trial packs which you can download from the internet. Use the original versions, and be sorted!
Updating your OS:
There are many computers across the globe that have been in use for years, and still, they have not received even one update from the OS provider. This is not a healthy practice at all, and it is highly essential that you keep the option for automatic updates checked in, so that whenever there are any updates available, your computer can automatically update itself. Updates include security patches which can really play a vital role in making sure that your computer does not fall prey to virus attacks and threats from malware.
Visiting dodgy sites:
Do not visit any dodgy sites, such as porn sites, as they might be affected with worms, which will attack your computer the moment you access them. There are many such sites that are out there just to plain get you, and it is advisable that you keep your anti-virus up to date.
Using different passwords for different websites:
People have accounts in various websites, and it is strongly advised that you keep different passwords for the different websites that you are a member of. It may sound like a lot of passwords that you have to remember, but still, using the same password can really compromise your details on various websites, and it is best to use good password generators to come up with complex, hard to guess passwords.
Do not trust free public Wi-Fi:
Free Wi-Fi that you get in coffee shops and libraries and other places should be used with extreme caution, as these can be very nice playgrounds for people listening in and digging up your personal details without your knowledge. You can use a VPN to minimise this risk.
- Flip or Flop Stars Seeking a Divorce – But Can They Divorce the Business? - February 15, 2017
- National Insurance can be of help to Your Business in several ways - February 14, 2017
- 5 Feng Shui Tips for a Better Garden - February 8, 2017
- Winter Clothing Trends - February 3, 2017
- Conference Training and What You Need to Know - February 2, 2017
- Things to Know Before Buying a Trampoline - February 1, 2017
- 8 great ideas of topics for essay writing - February 1, 2017
- Should You Buy a Restaurant Franchise or Just Open a New One? - January 31, 2017
- Managing Construction Projects In The 21st Century - January 30, 2017
- Top 5 Essay Writing Mistakes And How To Avoid Them. - January 28, 2017
- When Will Commercial Autonomous Cars To Become A Reality
- Is Melania Trump Not Happy Being First Lady
- Heat Waves Major Cause Of Death Due To Climate Change: Al Gore
- Flip or Flop Stars Seeking a Divorce – But Can They Divorce the Business?
- National Insurance can be of help to Your Business in several ways
- Study Finds Mediterranean Diet Rich With Virgin Olive Oil Boosts HDL Function