Criminal justice offers a highly satisfying career route for many people. Some of the most notable benefits of this exciting industry include job diversity, career progression, and an attractive salary. Another major reason why people enter the criminal justice industry is the chance to help people and make a real positive difference in the lives of others. Many roles in criminal justice involve close contact with offenders and the chance to take an active role in rehabilitation programs. This gives criminal justice professionals the unique opportunity to motivate people to make positive life changes, reduce reoffending rates, and create a safer society for everyone. If you’re fascinated by criminal justice and considering a career in the industry, then here are six tips for a successful career:
1. Gain some industry experience
If you’re interested in a career in criminal justice, then you must gain industry experience as early as possible. Work experience is invaluable to your career; it will give you first-hand experience of the industry, allow you to build connections with people in the industry, and help you decide which specific sector or role would be best suited to your particular skills and interests. Here are some key things to note when searching for work experience opportunities in criminal justice:
- Keep in mind that some criminal justice internships may require a criminal records check i.e. if you’re applying to do a placement in a prison. These can take a while to come back, so it’s advisable to apply early to avoid delays later on.
- Try to complete a variety of different placements within a range of settings.
- Make sure you look around for any available internships; police stations, mental health facilities, refugee centers, and juvenile detention facilities tend to offer placement opportunities that are related to criminal justice.
- Stay in touch with anyone you meet on your placements. Remember that these people could provide useful guidance and help you with your job search later on.
2. Research the different types of criminal justice jobs
The criminal justice industry is extremely diverse and professionals can choose to specialize in several different sectors, doing a huge variety of roles. According to advice on Criminal Justice Degree Hub, some of the most sought-after roles in criminal justice are law enforcement, corrections officer, crime scene investigator, private security and legal assistant. The responsibilities and duties of these roles differ hugely, so it’s important to find which sector will be most appropriate for you, taking your skills and interests into account. You should also keep in mind that the qualification requirements vary depending on the sector and role you’re interested in. For instance, you can typically secure a role as a police officer with a high school diploma, whereas you’re likely to require a master’s degree to enter the specialist field of forensic science. Work placements and internships should help you determine which role you want to pursue. Once you know this, you can create a plan and start working towards your career goals.
3. Obtain the necessary qualifications
As mentioned above, the entry qualifications for criminal justice careers vary depending on the specific role you’re applying for. Hence, you should research your chosen career carefully to identify what qualifications you will require to enter the field. Luckily, advancements in technology have made it far easier and more convenient to obtain criminal justice qualifications online. For instance, you can now study a criminology degree from the comfort of your own home and complete the course at a pace that suits you. This makes these courses far more accessible to people who are already in full-time employment, or for those who have family commitments preventing them from attending classroom-based courses.
4. Check you have the right skills
To be successful in the criminal justice industry, there are a few essential skills you must acquire. In particular, employers will expect to see the following basic skills; written and oral communication, research, analytical, integrity, and good judgment. Many of these skills can be learned and developed through training courses, placements, internships, and real-life experience.
5. Write an impressive resume
When applying for jobs, it’s important to keep in mind that employers are likely to receive many applications and resumes outlining similar experience and qualifications to yours. Consequently, you must take the time to write an impressive resume that will make you stand out from the competition when applying for top roles. Make sure you include all relevant experience but remember to try and highlight key accomplishments, rather than just listing responsibilities. Fortunately, there is plenty of useful guidance and tips on how to write a quality criminal justice resume. You can also speak with recruitment specialists to get expert advice on how to improve your resume and make it more attractive to potential employers.
6. Find entry-level jobs
Getting your foot in the door of your chosen industry can be a challenge. You may find that many job roles advertised are asking for applications with a specific amount of professional experience. To get around this, you need to find entry-level jobs that will accept graduates or those with minimal working experience. While this is unlikely to be your dream job, it will give you the valuable experience needed to grow in your career and secure your ideal role in the future. Some top entry-level jobs in criminal justice include; border control agent, parole officer, prison guard, police officer, and criminal paralegal. Be prepared to start at the bottom of the ladder and take advantage of any valuable opportunities and experiences that come your way.
A career in criminal justice offers a huge number of benefits. This includes; a diverse and satisfying job role, attractive salary and job perks, and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of others and create a safer society for all citizens. Use the above tips to help you achieve career success and secure a rewarding role in the criminal justice industry.
- Cloud-Based SD-WAN, and the end of the MPLS vs SD-WAN Debate - November 5, 2019
- Vacation Savings Guide for A Memorable and Interesting Trip to Berkeley, California - October 22, 2019
- Movies to watch when you want to laugh hard! - October 11, 2019
- 6 Tips For a Successful Career in Criminal Justice - October 9, 2019
- The best music to make you fall asleep - October 4, 2019
- Using Warehousing Solutions to Streamline Your Business - September 21, 2019
- Is Your Website Dated? Here Are Some Tips to Update It! - September 17, 2019
- Is moving across the country for love a wise choice? - August 23, 2019
- The Top Assets for a Defensive Wealthy Investors - August 19, 2019
- What to do When you are Away on the Festival? - August 8, 2019