The word “love”, “loves” or “loved” appears in 232 of the song titles in the Pop Culture Madness database of most-requested hit singles from 1960 to 2008.
This analysis ranks those most-requested love hits, applying current statistics from the Pop Culture Madness online rankings for each year in which those love songs were released.
About 13% or 31 of the 232 songs mentioned above made the Pop Culture Madness annual top 10 lists for most-requested singles. These 31 top 10 singles are detailed below.
Most Popular Decades For Love Songs
The eighties and nineties were decades during which the largest number of popular love hits were released, with 56 most-requested songs from each of those eras. And while many baby boomers still love sixties music, only 38 of the most-requested tunes from that decade make the Pop Culture survey compared with 52 songs from the seventies. As of mid-2008, there are 30 hits from the 2000s on the list.
Other Top 10 Most-Requested Love Hits
Because picking a guy standing next to a jukebox was untested material to include in mainstream love songs, Joan Jett’s I Love Rock And Roll is an anthem for aggressive female empowerment. John Lennon penned the Beatles hit All You Need Is Love, a popular anti-war song in the sixties. Can’t Help Falling In Love is Elvis Presley’s most popular love song; UB40 had a highly successful reggae version of the King’s hit single over 30 years later in 1993.
I Love Rock And Roll (Joan Jett & The Blackhearts) … Number 4 most-requested song from 1992
All You Need Is Love (The Beatles) … Number 4 from 1967
Can’t Help Falling In Love (Elvis Presley) … Number 4 from 1962
Step In The Name Of Love (R. Kelly) … Number 5 from 2003
California Love (2Pac) … Number 5 from 1996
I’ll Always Love You (Taylor Dayne) … Number 5 from 1988
You’ll Never Find Another Love Like Mine (Lou Rawls) … Number 5 from 1976
Can’t Help Falling In Love (UB40) … Number 6 from 1993
You Give Love A Bad Name (Bon Jovi) … Number 6 from 1986
Pride – In The Name Of Love (U2) … Number 6 from 1984
Can’t Get Enough Of Your Love Babe (Barry White) … Number 6 from 1974
La La Means I Love You (the Delphonics) … Number 6 from 1968
Let’s Make Love (Tim McGraw & Faith Hill) … Number 8 from 2000
I Love You (Climax Blues Band) … Number 8 from 1981
Stop! In The Name Of Love (Supremes) … Number 8 from 1965.
U2’s Bono dedicated Pride (In The Name Of Love) to Martin Luther King, Jr. who preached equality and non-violence.
Top 10 Love Songs That Merit Honorable Mention
Selena’s I Could Fall In Love was released after the Mexican-American singer was murdered by the president of her fan club in 1995.
I Could Fall In Love (Selena) … Number 9 most-requested song from 1995
Jungle Love (The Time) … Number 9 from 1985
The Greatrest Love Of All (George Benson) … Number 9 from 1977
It’s Your Love (Tim McGraw & Faith Hill) … Number 10 from 1997
I Will Always Love You (Whitney Houston) … Number 10 from 1992
Power of Love/Love Power (Luthor Vandross) … Number 10 from 1991.
The biggest Luthor Vandross solo hit, the final entry on the above list, deals with the seductive power of obsessive love.
- Glass railing, glass brick trending in home, office decor - December 14, 2018
- What are arranged marriages and why it is on rise in America - December 6, 2018
- Should You Take Him Back? Is he interested or just friendly? - December 4, 2018
- Godly relationships tips: Stay in love, avoid poor communication - December 2, 2018
- Is it I love you husband phrase makes married couple happy - November 30, 2018
- Incompatibility in marriage? Resolve relationship problems with these tips - November 28, 2018
- Marriage management: Dating tips for spouses - November 26, 2018
- Relationship checklist: Single parent dating – bringing the kids along - November 24, 2018
- Marriage management – Ways to spend holidays alone - November 22, 2018
- Marriage management: How to restore intimacy in marriage - November 20, 2018