The Channel Islands of Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney, Sark and Herm, are conveniently located close to both the UK and mainland France. A wide variety of both on-land and water sports are popular with holiday-makers and locals alike.
Guernsey, in particular, has produced several outstanding sportsmen and women, including tennis star Heather Watson, triple FIA World Touring Car Champion, Andy Priaulx and Bowls stars, Alison and Ian Merrien.
Travel To Jersey and Guernsey
The larger Channel Islands of Jersey and Guernsey are easily accessible, by air or by sea, with multiple links to both UK and Europe. For those wishing to bring their own car, ferry routes into the islands are available from Grainville, Dilette and St. Malo in France, as well as, from Portsmouth, Weymouth and Poole in the UK.
Air links are provided all year round between either Guernsey or Jersey and London Stanstead, London Gatwick, Southampton, Birmingham, Bristol, Manchester, Bournemouth, Exeter, Edinburgh, Dinard, Geneva, and Paris.
Water sports in Guernsey and Jersey, Channel Islands
There are many different water sports on offer in the second largest Channel Island of Guernsey, including sailing, windsurfing, surfing, scuba diving, water-skiing. For those more keen on remaining on dry land, fishing is a very popular local pastime.
In addition to all the water sports available in Guernsey, Jersey is also able to offer canoe, rowing boat and pedalo hire at St. Brelade’s beach.
Sailing Around Guernsey and Jersey
Sailing is possible one of the most popular of all the different water sports available in the Channel Islands. For experienced sailors, one may charter an unskippered yacht to explore the other islands of Alderney, Sark and Herm, or even ports such as St. Malo, France. Marinas in both Jersey and Guernsey offer good facilities, with easy access to all the local amenities and nearby Yacht Clubs.
Windsurfing and Surfing Around Guernsey and Jersey
In addition to sailing, both windsurfing and surfing are popular water sports, all year round, provided one has a wetsuit! In Jersey, there are several places to enjoy windsurfing, with board hire and instruction available at St. Brelade’s, St. Aubin’s and Grouville. While in Guernsey, Cobo bay is the ideal location for those who are either experienced on the sport, or total beginners.
The Surf School at Vazon Bay in Guernsey, is an excellent facility, providing both adults and children alike with all the necessary kit and instruction to experience surfing. Professional instructors, board and wetsuit hire are also available from St. Ouen’s in Jersey.
Scuba Diving in The Channel Islands
Scuba diving is available around both Guernsey and Jersey with instruction provided by Dive Guernsey and the Bowley Bay Dive Centre, Jersey. For those who are already experienced divers, there is also ample opportunities to explore the sea-life with local clubs. Due to the currents surrounding the islands, it is important to dive with those who have local knowledge.
- Glass railing, glass brick trending in home, office decor - December 14, 2018
- What are arranged marriages and why it is on rise in America - December 6, 2018
- Should You Take Him Back? Is he interested or just friendly? - December 4, 2018
- Godly relationships tips: Stay in love, avoid poor communication - December 2, 2018
- Is it I love you husband phrase makes married couple happy - November 30, 2018
- Incompatibility in marriage? Resolve relationship problems with these tips - November 28, 2018
- Marriage management: Dating tips for spouses - November 26, 2018
- Relationship checklist: Single parent dating – bringing the kids along - November 24, 2018
- Marriage management – Ways to spend holidays alone - November 22, 2018
- Marriage management: How to restore intimacy in marriage - November 20, 2018