The county of Berkshire, often referred to as Royal Berkshire, lies to the south west of London and includes a long stretch of the River Thames. It is here that the culinary tourist can dine at the Waterside Inn, first opened by Michel and Albert Roux, on the banks of the Thames at Bray. It is also where tours of the Great Kitchen at Windsor Castle can be taken when the Queen is not in residence.
Dine on Gourmet Food at the Roux Family’s Waterside Inn, Bray
The old village of Bray in Berkshire, has been famous for centuries because of the ancient song, The Vicar of Bray, which tells of a mid-sixteenth century cleric who manages to hang onto his living regardless of the religious preference for Protestantism or Catholicism of successive reigning monarchs. It has more recently become famous for the Waterside Inn on Ferry Road which is run by the famous Roux family of chefs.
Boasting three Michelin stars, the Waterside Inn is a must visit place for any culinary traveller – even if it means saving up for a couple of years in order to be able to afford to pay the bill. Originally opened in 1972 by Michel and Albert Roux, Michel took sole control in 1986. The chef de patron role is now held by Michel’s son, Alain.
With a menu that changes four times a year, the cuisine is, obviously, French. Starters have included the delicious sounding lobster medallions in a port sauce, main courses have included roast duck with poached quince and plum soufflé to follow. For further details of opening times, details of overnight accommodation and how to reserve a table, visit the Waterside Inn website.
Learn about Cooking for Royalty in Windsor Castle’s Great Kitchen
If a meal at the Waterside Inn is too expensive, why not consider taking a guided culinary tour of the Great Kitchen at Windsor Castle and learn about life behind the scenes of a castle still regularly used by HM Queen Elizabeth II? Windsor Castle is the oldest, and largest, castle in the world that is still occupied by royalty and has looked down on the Berkshire town of Windsor for over 900 years.
The Great Kitchen tour is an optional extra to the standard Windsor Castle admission ticket and can be booked on line using the Royal Collection Ticket Office online booking form. It is essential to check in advance exactly when the kitchen and the castle itself will be open to visitors, after all, it is still used by the Royal family, particularly on state occasions.
- Free family-friendly Halloween pumpkin carving templates - September 29, 2020
- How to backpack in tight budget and travel world - September 27, 2020
- Top 10 modern Christmas traditions - September 26, 2020
- Christmas party planning ideas for teens - September 22, 2020
- Wedding jewelry trends in 2020 - September 21, 2020
- Tips to install a mod for Fallout: New Vegas - September 19, 2020
- An expert guide to coat styles in fall 2020 - September 18, 2020
- Winter 2020 fashion essentials for women under 30 - September 15, 2020
- Understanding accident sickness and unemployment insurance - September 14, 2020
- PGA tour, country club and golf course facts - September 12, 2020