A commodity is any product having a commerce value i.e. an article of commerce that can be traded on an authorized commodity exchange NYBOT or NYMEX. The article should be a movable of value, which can be purchased or sold or used as the subject of barter or sale. For example agricultural products, minerals, metals etc.
These commodities are traded on commodity exchanges throughout the world. The concept of such exchanges started way back in the middle of the 19th century in the United States. Then, a few businessmen started organizing market forums to make commodities buying and selling easy. This provided a platform for buyers and sellers to meet. Here, the businessmen sets quality as well as quantity standards of commodities and rules of business were also established.
Taking snippets from history, a group of Manhattan dairy merchants brought a chaotic New York market into a system in terms of storage, pricing and transfer way back in 1872. During the Great Depression in the year 1933, Commodity Exchange, Inc. was established in New York with the merger of National Metal Exchange, Rubber Exchange of New York, National Raw Silk Exchange and New York Hide Exchange. Today, on a global level, major commodity markets are in US and UK.
The Commodity Market is also known as Derivatives Market or Futures. There are three players in the market namely Hedgers, Speculators and Arbitrators. Hedgers are investors who protect themselves from the risk related to price. Speculators are middlemen and they never actually own the commodity. Arbitrators are person chosen officially to make a decision between two people or two parties.
Commodity market is run by Future Contracts. Future Contracts is an agreement between two parties for a particular commodity to be traded in a particular time in the future for a pre-defined price. The advantages of future contracts are that the price moves are favorable and no premium charges are associated.
Few of the world’s leading Commodity Exchanges are as given below:
|CME Group||CME||Chicago, US||Agricultural, Biofuels, Precious Metals|
|New York Board of Trade||NYBOT||New York, US||Agricultural, Biofuels|
|New York Mercantile Exchange||NYMEX||New York, US||Energy, Agricultural, Industrial Metals, Precious Metals|
|Dalian Commodity Exchange||DCE||Dalian, China||Agricultural, Plastics|
|London Metal Exchange||LME||London, UK||Industrial Metals, Plastics|
|Central Japan Commodity Exchange||Nagoya, Japan||Energy, Industrial Metals, Rubber|
|Dubai Mercantile Exchange||DME||Dubai||Energy|
- Glass railing, glass brick trending in home, office decor - December 14, 2018
- What are arranged marriages and why it is on rise in America - December 6, 2018
- Should You Take Him Back? Is he interested or just friendly? - December 4, 2018
- Godly relationships tips: Stay in love, avoid poor communication - December 2, 2018
- Is it I love you husband phrase makes married couple happy - November 30, 2018
- Incompatibility in marriage? Resolve relationship problems with these tips - November 28, 2018
- Marriage management: Dating tips for spouses - November 26, 2018
- Relationship checklist: Single parent dating – bringing the kids along - November 24, 2018
- Marriage management – Ways to spend holidays alone - November 22, 2018
- Marriage management: How to restore intimacy in marriage - November 20, 2018