Interning is much more than having a summer job. This is a great way to get some work experience to further your desired career. If you’re going to make the most of the experience, though, you’ve got to do more than just get the job, show up, and collect your pay. Follow these tips to get everything you can from interning:
Pay close attention
Interning is more than just finding an appropriate job for you or for your near and dear ones. It provides a learning experience. Take note that this is not a school, but in fact it is the real world. This is what you’ll be doing for the rest of your life following graduation. The co-workers know you are learning and they will always want to help, but they can’t spend all of their time teaching you. So when you get a question answered, pay attention to the answer.
Find a mentor
It doesn’t matter whether it’s a co-worker, supervisor or just someone that’s in the field you’re interested in and who wants to help you. Anyone that can help you improve your skills will work. Ask all of the questions you have about the job, the career field and the company. Ask how they advanced in their career and what advice they can offer you. Don’t just take, though. Offer your help to your mentor with projects and activities. Be available to each other.
Accept the reality of the situation
You may not like some of the work you’re given but, as an intern, it’s all part of the experience. Make the best of it and do your very best on each job you’re given to do. Show how reliable you are and how willing you are to take on any job they need you to do. Your efforts will be appreciated and remembered.
Be a professional
Keep in mind that you are working now and need to be a professional. Don’t be late, take long breaks, chat on the phone or bring personal issues to work.
Assess your career goals
Something important to learn from your internship is whether or not this is the right career for you. Do you like the work and is it all that you expected? Can you see this being a happy and fulfilling career for you from now on? If not, you might want to reconsider your career goals.
- How To Work Abroad And Travel In Limited Budget - March 8, 2018
- What is Business Intelligence - March 7, 2018
- Some Basic Facts About Computer Virus - March 6, 2018
- Renting Versus Buying a Home - March 5, 2018
- True Story of Joni Mitchell’s “Woodstock” - March 3, 2018
- Movie Review: Billy Wilder’s The Fortune Cookie - March 2, 2018
- Elephant Rehabilitation in Sri Lanka - February 28, 2018
- What are Functional Foods, Nutraceuticals - February 27, 2018
- Weekend Breaks in the East of England in July and August - February 26, 2018
- How to Clean Foggy or Yellow Auto Lights - February 23, 2018