Traditionally, cosmetic surgery was seen as something females mostly utilized. However, surgeons are now seeing a growing number of men walking through their doors. During 2017, more than 1.3 million aesthetic surgery procedures were carried out on the male population and this figure is set to rise by the end of the year. Knowing what to expect when you have surgery is key to making the right decision for you, but why are the male population suddenly opting to change their appearance?
The end of a taboo
The stigma of being fake and plastic which has been attached to aesthetic surgery for years is fading. With the American Society of Plastic Surgeons reporting that 16 million procedures were carried out on the nation last year and an increasing number of celebrities openly speaking out on their surgery choices, it’s clear to see that the taboo of cosmetic surgery has well and truly gone. Men are allowed to express an interest in their appearance, so much so that the value of the male grooming industry has grown every year since 2012, according to Statista, and looks set to hit $22.84 billion next year.
To stay youthful
Ask any man whether they want to age and you’ll likely find they respond with a resounding ‘no’. Cosmetic procedures are a way of combating ageing as they help to keep the skin clear and smooth and can reduce fine lines and wrinkles. Statistics released from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons reveal that older men are opting for minimally-invasive procedures such as Botox to keep them looking youthful. Since 2000, such procedures are up an astounding 99%, proving that men of all ages yearn to look as youthful as possible regardless of their age.
Some men choose to enhance their personal appearance to boost their self-esteem. As more males begin to recognize the psychological benefits of going under the knife, the country has seen male tummy tuck procedures go up by 12% and liposuction go up by 23%. Such procedures can help when you lose weight and find yourself stuck with unwanted, loose skin. The National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases states that 3 in 4 American men are classed as overweight or obese. As a result, many are embarking on new fitness and eating regimes to lose the pounds. However, this often leaves you with excess skin that no amount of exercise will shift. Thankfully, aesthetic surgery can remove this skin which can instantly boost your confidence and self-esteem.
The increase in the number of males choosing to have cosmetic surgery procedures is due to a change in the way society views such procedures. Gone are the days where enhancing your image was a taboo subject. Instead, men are happy to reveal all in a bid to stay youthful and boost their self-esteem.
- How a Learning Management System (LMS) can strengthen your customer relationships - October 12, 2019
- 6 Tips for Developing Online Business through Instagram - October 7, 2019
- New To Streaming? Why Laptops Are Becoming A Popular Choice For Watching Videos - October 3, 2019
- Make Your Workplace at Home with These Ideas - September 22, 2019
- Virtual Reality And The Future Of Online Gaming - September 11, 2019
- The Technical Translation Services from Pangeanic - August 28, 2019
- Turn Corporate Gifts Into A Lifestyle - August 24, 2019
- The Best Garage Door Repairs and Services - August 20, 2019
- 5 Amazing Museums to Visit in New York City Trip - August 19, 2019
- Want to Know is Electric Bike Worth Buying? - August 14, 2019